ABOUT THE PHOTOGRAPH AND TITLE

THIS PROFILE PICTURE IS A PAINTING BY SAMUEL BAK. THE TITLE IS "INTERRUPTION". THIS BLOG IS ABOUT CHILDHOOD ABUSE, THE DESTRUCTION IT CAUSES AND HOW I FEEL A CONNECTION TO HOLOCAUST SURVIVORS.

Monday, September 5, 2011

Smash365: Create


Photo Courtesy of howstuffworks.com

Original post for September 2, 2011 by Cara Moulds


Start with this scene and bring it to life. Write for 10 minutes or create a piece of art.


Place: under a bush
Character: an independent thinker
Object: a telescope
Mood: interested




My weakness and I had been travelling companions for many years.  We had traversed many different terrains…the highest peaks and the lowest valleys on the earth.  Our struggles were many. There were times when our wills clashed and we became engaged in battle. 



One day, as we were raging war against each other, we rolled under a thorny bush.  As we continued to struggle, suddenly we saw something shiny inching its way up through the dirt.  Curious, we both started excavating this brass looking object.  Much to our surprise it was a telescope.  We cleaned it and began looking through the lens.  We looked up.  We looked outward.  Beauty was abounding. 



Without warning, a small voice whispered through the air, “Look within you, look within each other.”  It frightened both of us as we were not used to hearing other voices.  We only heard and listened to our own voice.



We began to take turns looking within.  This was no surprise as we knew our own selves very well.  Then we looked into each other with open minds.  It was then that I saw the value in my weakness and realized that I had been struggling and fighting with myself all these years.  I saw the beauty and strength in what I had viewed as less than human.  For in my weakness, I found vulnerability; I found kindness and gentleness; I found a caring for humanity and earth that I had never recognized before this moment.



So, as I looked into my weakness’s eyes, I begged her forgiveness and took her into my arms embracing all the beauty that I had left in the wilderness for so many years.  I had always thought I was stronger without my weakness.  But, in the moment of acceptance, I could feel my strength growing.  I had finally found peace…no longer did I have to live in the torment of war.




1 comment: