ABOUT THE PHOTOGRAPH AND TITLE

THIS PROFILE PICTURE IS A PAINTING BY SAMUEL BAK. THE TITLE IS "INTERRUPTION". THIS BLOG IS ABOUT CHILDHOOD ABUSE, THE DESTRUCTION IT CAUSES AND HOW I FEEL A CONNECTION TO HOLOCAUST SURVIVORS.

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Painting with a Twist 30 Day Creative Challenge (Day 6)


I am trying to be committed to experiencing new things.  This certainly takes me out of my comfort zone, maybe more than anyone can imagine.  I still deal with a lot of fear on a daily basis.  One of the fears is leaving the house alone, especially if it means going into unfamiliar territory. 


A couple of weeks ago, I was invited to attend a private “Painting with a Twist” party.  This is a place to go to socialize and receive instructions to paint a picture.  It took me a while to respond to the invitation.  However, I am reading a book which talks about learning from all situations in your life; that there are reasons certain people have entered your life.  You have to be open to this adventure of exploration. 


I feel very insecure and ‘less’ when I am around the people that were going attend  this party.  But, I reached inside to find my adventurous, artistic spirit so I can have the opportunity to learn from these people that make me feel ‘less’.  What is inside of me that causes me to feel this way?  What is it that I need to focus my energy on to overcome these feelings?  What lessons do I need to learn from these people?  They are in my life for a reason and while they are here, I need to learn about my insecurities and how to overcome them.


So, I went.  I have a lot of inside work to do with this part of me.  But, I accept that it is my OWN attitude causing my fear.  It has nothing to do with them.  I do not have the answer yet.  I will have to do some soul-searching to come up with a good solution to my problem.  But, I think the acknowledgement is the first step—the ‘opening of the door’ that has been shut for many years. 


Here is what I created while I was there!  It is my first attempt at painting with acrylics.  It was so enjoyable and while I was painting my fear and insecurities of the other people totally disappeared.  We were all new and inexperienced in this adventure.  It was certainly a learning experience in many different ways!


The perfectionist in me sees all the flaws and the ways I could change things about this picture.  I respond to those criticisms with, "You were painting from your soul, this is your creation.  Why do you see it as 'less' than perfect?  There is beauty to be found even in the imperfect.  In fact, it is the ‘imperfect’ that makes it beautiful.  It is called unique.
Peace. 
Nico

2 comments:

  1. wow u are damn good painter :)
    the party which u attended after a lil resistance finally proved good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, this is awesome! I'm lovin' the colors and the placement of the flowers- I'm sure whatever flaws you see are actually contributing to the uniqueness of the painting. You're always going to be your worst critic... I understand. Sometimes I wonder why people even pay me to paint- I suppose they see something I don't.
    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete