ABOUT THE PHOTOGRAPH AND TITLE

THIS PROFILE PICTURE IS A PAINTING BY SAMUEL BAK. THE TITLE IS "INTERRUPTION". THIS BLOG IS ABOUT CHILDHOOD ABUSE, THE DESTRUCTION IT CAUSES AND HOW I FEEL A CONNECTION TO HOLOCAUST SURVIVORS.

Friday, August 5, 2011

The Surrender Box 30 Day Creative Challenge (Day 5)


The Surrender Box

About six weeks ago, my teacher suggested that I create a box in which to put some of my most painful writings/memories.  My procrastinator has been refusing to finish this box until yesterday, when at last I put the final decoration on it!  This challenge was driving me to complete it!

I had been feeling so insecure about what she (my teacher) would think about the way the box looked.  It was a ‘group’ effort in decorating it.  So, as you will see in the picture below, it is a hodgepodge of ‘collectibles’.  All of the items used to decorate the box have just been ‘hanging around’ the house in various places not being utilized.  Different ‘parts’ have purchased these things over the years or they were given to us by various people or they were souvenirs.  So what was thought of initially as ‘junk’ or ‘clutter’ has become a part of our “Surrender Box”.   Everything on this box has a symbolic meaning or a memory attached to it.  Some might find it silly, some might find it meaningful; for me it is SACRED.  It is a way to help me release the painful and negative energy that my past has kept me ‘boxed’ within.  So, it is coming out of my 'inner box’ and going into the ‘surrender box’ to be released.  When the time comes, when I am ready, everything inside it will be burned or buried as my final release.

I just have to add that creating this box was cathartic in itself.


Okay, don’t laugh or ..... laugh, WHATEVER!!! 

Front

Left Side


Right Side



Top

Inside

Top Inside

Top Inside

My Surrender Box


I found an article online that will explain the purpose of this box, in case you have never heard of the idea before now.  You can find it here at My Daily Om The Surrender Box

Peace.
Nico


5 comments:

  1. Nico: I think it is magnificent, a beautiful "now" tool to release anything that still has you feeling stuck. Thank you for sharing.

    Namaste.
    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea!!!! I wish I'd had something like this to help me focus and put the ick outside of myself so I could let it go. I think I will do something similar for some other things I need to let go. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Once we drop our worries and desires into the surrender box, we free our minds so we can be fully present in each moment."
    What a brilliant idea, it humbles me to see what can be done with pictures, colors, shapes, words, tunes - to heal a broken spirit.... I'm so happy you are sharing your journey Nico, so much to learn from you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey... nothing to laugh in it.
    Its is literally looking beautiful !!

    ReplyDelete