ABOUT THE PHOTOGRAPH AND TITLE

THIS PROFILE PICTURE IS A PAINTING BY SAMUEL BAK. THE TITLE IS "INTERRUPTION". THIS BLOG IS ABOUT CHILDHOOD ABUSE, THE DESTRUCTION IT CAUSES AND HOW I FEEL A CONNECTION TO HOLOCAUST SURVIVORS.

Friday, June 3, 2011

POST-it Question by Jenny Blake (day 4) 30 Day Challenge #trust30

 

This is my question:

How can I live in the present instead of the past?


That which each can do best, none but his Maker can teach him. Where is the master who could have taught Shakespeare? Where is the master who could have instructed Franklin, or Washington, or Bacon, or Newton? . . . Shakespeare will never be made by the study of Shakespeare. Do that which is assigned you, and you cannot hope too much or dare too much. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Identify one of your biggest challenges at the moment (ie I don’t feel passionate about my work) and turn it into a question (ie How can I do work I’m passionate about?) Write it on a post-it and put it up on your bathroom mirror or the back of your front door. After 48-hours, journal what answers came up for you and be sure to evaluate them.

How can I live in the present instead of the past?

As a survivor of long-term sexual abuse, it is difficult for me to focus on the 'now'.  I tend to live my life "stuck" in the past.  I have not been able to let go of the pain, the negative self-image, the anger, and many other emotions that my abuse created in my mind.  Up to this point on my healing journey, I have mostly just used Christianity and psychoanalyses as the tool to heal the wounds of the past.  While this has helped a great deal, it has not taken me to the level of healing that I need to function as a whole person.  I am still fragmented. 

Recently, I have changed therapists.  This has truly been a blessing.  I finally realized that ('duh', 'hello') what I have been doing for twenty two years is not working. While I feel the need to continue with both Christianity and therapy, I also need to try something totally new and different.  WELCOME TO GOOGLE!!!...the 'land of opportunity'!   My search has lead me to many different venues--chakras, vibrations, reiki, mindsight, tapping, drumming, etc. I think all of these practices have much to offer in the healing process. 

But I firmly believe, that just opening my mind to all the options available to me has created infinite possibilities.  I realize that being free to explore new ideas, new thoughts, and find a new place to sojourn is helping me heal already.  I have learned to value the wisdom from many philosophies, religions, and other practices.  Now, I will continue my journey with many avenues of healing.  The road ahead seems much more scenic and serene.  All of this has given me hope that one day, instead of just surviving, I might be able to thrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment