ABOUT THE PHOTOGRAPH AND TITLE

THIS PROFILE PICTURE IS A PAINTING BY SAMUEL BAK. THE TITLE IS "INTERRUPTION". THIS BLOG IS ABOUT CHILDHOOD ABUSE, THE DESTRUCTION IT CAUSES AND HOW I FEEL A CONNECTION TO HOLOCAUST SURVIVORS.

Monday, June 20, 2011

You Know by Jen Louden #Trust 30 (Day 21)

Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of your own mind. Absolve you to yourself, and you shall have the suffrage of the world. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

We live in a society of advice columns, experts and make-over shows. Without even knowing it, you can begin to believe someone knows better than you how to live your life. Someone might know a particular something better – like how to bake a three-layer molten coconut chocolate cake or how to build a website – but nobody else on the planet knows how to live your life better than you. (Although one or two people may think they do.) For today, trying asking yourself often, especially before you make a choice, “What do I know about this?”
 

‘What do I know about this?’ 

I am open to suggestions.  But please, do not be offended if I do not take them.
Did you ever see an unhappy horse? Did you ever see bird that had the blues? One reason why birds and horses are not unhappy is because they are not trying to impress other birds and horses. ~ Dale Carnegie

So many people try to impress us and win us over to their side, to their point of view.  Why?  They need others to approve of them or their ideas.  For them to feel safe about themselves and their ideas, they need a following.  They need for us to jump on their band wagon.  It feeds their ego.  The ego is not where happiness exists.  We need to remember that true happiness evolves when we are being our authentic selves.   

In no way am I implying that advice columns, self-help gurus, experts, etc. are not helpful to us.  If people did not share their knowledge we could not grow.  But, to keep our integrity we should not become a herd of cattle.  We need to stay unique and true to ourselves.  This takes courage and strength.  We need the support of others.  What we do not need, in my humble opinion, is the narcissist manipulating us into reflecting his greatness; his superiority.  Beware!  Manipulation comes in many forms and disguises.  I do know something about this subject—abuse is the worst, most evil form of manipulation. (I know…here it is again…my repetitive subject!  But, I will not go off on a tirade--just using it as an example.)

I believe we need to keep our minds open, learn from others, and be willing to change when we see that the path we are on is not working.  However, once we have an ethical core of beliefs we should never let anyone compromise our system. 

“Lend me your hand and we'll conquer them all
But lend me your heart and I'll just let you fall
Lend me your eyes I can change what you see
But your soul you must keep, totally free” ~~Awake My Soul, Mumford and Sons



Peace.

5 comments:

  1. The richness and depth of this post is staggering. The conviction behind the words is unmistakable.

    Take the best, leave the rest... and only you would know what is best for you because it will be unmistakable to heart and soul. Perfect!

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, can't be said to many times. We should not compromise ourselves. Thank you, Michi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting thoughts Nico - Sometimes our need for integrity seems to be so...STRICT...like it's better to stick to a bad idea because it's MY idea.
    "I believe we need to keep our minds open, learn from others, and be willing to change when we see that the path we are on is not working. However, once we have an ethical core of beliefs we should never let anyone compromise our system."
    Yes, absolutely, you're on to something very important there, I'll process that for a while!thanks! Magdis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Nico, we are so on the same wavelength on this one. Thanks for this insightful post.

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Rich!! I appreciate your support. Thank you all for your comments. Take care.
    Peace.

    ReplyDelete